Monday, September 1, 2014

Matchbox NASA Tracking Vehicle

I was 2 when Armstrong walked on the moon, so don't really remember the space craze from that perspective. But I do remember when the Space Shuttle Enterprise was unveiled. I had a plastic toy version that had opening cargo doors that, although not to scale, saw many missions with my Micronauts. I remember exactly where I was when the Challenger exploded (Indiana University dorm in the commons). And I still follow somewhat the images from Hubble and Curiosity. So not a hard-core fan, but would say I have more than a passing interest in NASA.

MB054
Here is the NASA Tracking Vehicle by Matchbox. Bought it used, as none of my toys made it out of childhood. In fair shape, with some minor nicks. 

http://hwcustom.blogspot.com/

Background from here, Quick and easy diorama to use when photographing my 1/64 scale vehicles. I'm not sure if the creator used Photoshop, or what he did to create the images, but it really looks the part.
MB054

MB054

MB054
Bottom of the vehicle is stamped as being 1:114 scale. I can't find anything definitive, but this looks at least inspired by the 1980s era Winnebago Chieftain.

And the toy isn't that fanciful. Can't find the version from the 80s, but NASA does use a command vehicle during launches.

No comments: