Monday, September 1, 2014

18th and early 19th century Indiana

     The Indiana War Memorial has a museum displaying artifacts and re-creations of conflicts involving Hoosiers or the Hoosier State. Fort Sackville was a British fort located near what is now Vincennes, IN. It was captured by George Rogers Clark in 1779.
Indiana War Memorial

Indiana War Memorial


     The Battle of Tippecanoe was fought against the British in 1811 near what is now Lafayette, IN.
Indiana War Memorial

 Finally, small recreation of a typical home around the time of statehood (1816)
Indiana War Memorial

Indiana War Memorial
     I love visiting the smaller museums and historical places tucked around here and there. The collections may be small, but they are usually staffed with helpful and knowledgeable volunteers or employees and I can avoid crowds and take my time in going through them. I remember the Bi-centennial, vaguely (I was 9, but my birthday is July 4, so it was a memorable birthday for me). Indiana did a lot to prepare for it, adding historical markers and other improvements to celebrate the nation's history. 

No comments: