Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Martian Mine

3M (Martian Metals & Minerals) started a mining operation on Mars.The operation relies primarily on robots to keep costs down.
UC-77

Shinsei produced a series of 8 diecast robots, 5 of which are construction-themed. I have acquired 6 of the 8 toys, and had many of these as a lad. Airfix astronauts may not be the right scale, but look good to me.

UC-77
Mountains go with a Christmas village display (hence the snow); the rock face being worked is part of a Matchbox construction playset. I was going to shoot these photos outside, but it started to rain


UC-74
All of the construction robots have a couple of points of articulation and moving tracks. They each have at least one firing missile for defense.

UC-74
Front of Jeek Tunneln

UC-76

UC-76

Foreman stops by.

UC-78

UC-78

Reconnaissance Ship.
Tonka tried to capitalize on the sci-fi phenomenon of the 70s by releasing a series of playsets with diecast vehicles and plastic accessories. I'd say that Space 1999 played a role in inspiring this toy. Looks good next to 1/72 figures.

Another diecast space ship from Tonka.


Finally, a toy based on the Star Tours ride at Disney - the Starspeeder 3000. Has a pull-back motor. A little small for 1/72, but a good way to transport the miners back to base.


3 comments:

WOODSY said...

I love this little storyline. Looks great. Those old SpaceX toys really fit the mining theme too.

WOODSY said...

Hi Dave, just had a look through your cool site. It's excellent. I also have blog, Moonbase Central [just google it] and I'd like to bring your blog to the attention of my own readers. They'll love it. Would that be OK with you? Paul

Dave said...

Woodsy,
Love your blog - generally lurk over on it 2-3 times a week. Makes me wish I grew up in the UK rather than central Indiana.