Monday, February 25, 2013

Micronauts Hydro Copter

I had a hydro copter as a kid, and was able to pick up some on eBay to replace the one from my youth. I have fond memories of floating the hydro copter in the neighborhood creek.

I have been trying to clean up the copters I bought on line. First was the task of sorting out what I have.




Many of the clear parts are scuffed and discolored. Still trying to figure out how to clear up the pieces like the one on the right.


Cleaned up the plastic and scrubbed off the old decals. Used hydrogen peroxide to try to bleach some of the discoloration out of the plastic. Pretty happy with the results (right). Was able to get some scans of the decals from the Micromen/Micronauts Facebook page. I printed the scans onto decal paper and sealed it with a couple of light coats of gloss spray paint. Original decals on left, reproductions on the right.



 Close up of the old decals.


Close up of the reproductions. Happy with the overall look.



Finished toy. The motor works great, so the rotors still turn and the toy moves well across the floor. Hopefully I'll be able to clean up the clear plastic. Still a great toy, even at 35 years old or so.